Jedburgh Castle Jail and Museum

Scottish Borders

Aitken Turnbull were commissioned by Roxburgh District Council, now Scottish Borders Council to renovate the dilapidated Jedburgh Castle Jail following the decision to open it to the public.

The existing castellated jail is located on the former site of Jedburgh Castle, which was demolished by the Scots in 1409 to prevent the English using it during the Border wars. It was designed in 1834 by Archibald Elliot and is constructed from cream sandstone with ashlar dressings. The jail itself was closed in 1886 and sold to Roxburgh District Council in 1890. It is currently a Category A listed building.